Law Offices of Allan A. Sigel, P.C.
No Recovery, No Fee. Call Now
Local: 310-597-4786
Toll Free: 800-651-0702
Meeting Our Clients' Diverse Legal Needs for Over 45 Years

Labor Department may help find wage and hour violations

Here in Los Angeles, many people put in long hours and have workweeks which regularly exceed 40 hours. Most workers are generally entitled to overtime pay when their time on the job exceeds certain amounts, but unpaid overtime is an issue affecting many here and across the country. There are many state laws and local regulations regarding wage and hour violations, but at the federal level the U.S. Department of Labor is also concerned with remedying overtime violations.

The USDOL has an online system whereby some workers who are owed wages may be able to find out if this is indeed the case. In many situations, a worker who may no longer work for the same employer may wonder if they are owed money due to unpaid overtime or other wage and hour violations. Such a worker can consult with a California wage and hour dispute attorney for more information and for legal advice. In addition, a worker may visit the USDOL's Workers Owed Wages search tool for a quick way to see if the employer in question is in their database.

The system will often hold unpaid wages for some employees for up to three years while they make efforts to locate the individual. After those three years have passed, though, the money will be given to the U.S. Treasury. This is one of the many reasons why it's so important for workers who believe they are victims of unpaid overtime violations to contact an attorney sooner rather than later. While it's never too late to obtain helpful legal advice, there are time limits in certain areas when it comes to recovering all of one's back pay.

If a worker finds their employer in the USDOL's database, they can begin the process by submitting a claim. The process may be much easier with the guidance of an experienced attorney. If a worker cannot locate their employer or former employer in the database, a lawyer can likely provide a way to track down the employer or otherwise discover if the individual is owed money.

Source: U.S. Department of Labor, "Workers Owed Wages," accessed April 10, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Standing Up For Employees And Consumers In California

Contact us now to schedule a consultation.

No Recovery, No Fee.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices of Allan A. Sigel, P.C.

Law Offices of Allan A. Sigel, P.C.
1125 Gayley Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Toll Free: 800-651-0702
Phone: 310-597-4786
Fax: 310-208-7271
Los Angeles Law Office Map

  • AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated | LexisNexis | Martindale-Hubbell | For Ethical Standard and Legal Ability 2010
  • BBB Accredited Business